Our Members & friends
215 S. Main Street (physical)
P.O. Box 66 (mailing)
Bishopville, SC 29010
Sunday Service Schedule
(unless otherwise noted)
Mon., Tues., Thurs. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
(unless otherwise noted)
Key Officers & Staff
Gregg McCutchen III, Clerk of Session
Ray Drayton, Assistant Clerk of Session
Judith Watkins, Church Treasurer
Billy Clyburn, Assistant Treasurer
Gwen Hayden Steinmeyer, Office Manager
Annual Church Family Picnic
Sunday, August 7th
at the home of John & Tricia Latimer (301 N. Lee St.)
Activities begin @ 4:00 p.m.
Supper will be served at 6:00 p.m.
The Church will provide hamburgers, hotdogs and fixings. Please bring a side dish or dessert and join us for this fun event.
Don’t forget to bring a lawn chair, bathing suit & towels
Rev. Christopher Parnell
The History of Bishopville Presbyterian Church
October, 1830 - Stated Session of New Harmony Presbytery, part of Mt. Zion Church, upon request and petition, was dissolved, and constituted a Church by name of “New Hope.” New Hope was located 5 miles of Bishopville on Hwy 15 S.
October, 1838 - Members of New Hope agreed to request Presbytery to dissolve said Church and be organized into a new Church of Bishopville. It was therefore resolved. This was the beginning of the Bishopville Presbyterian Church.
Spring, 1839 - A lot, 150 yards on the front and 80 yards back from the road, was given by Mr. James W. English. A building 40 by 54 feet was erected, with galleries on two sides and one end completed in February 1840. The congregation has had but two church buildings; the original one, completed in 1840, that served for nearly 70 years when it gave place to the present handsome building which was erected at a cost, including furnishings and heating, of $22,000.
January, 1877 - The Ladies Aid & Missionary Society was organized with 26 members. In 1920 the name changed to “The Women’s Auxiliary”
January, 1919 - A committee and Fund was formed to purchase a pipe organ for the church.
1928 - The first record of Bible School was recorded.
March, 1940 - Church bulletins began. Membership: 256.
March, 1944 – A Sunday school building campaign began. An amount of $5,525 was already on hand for this purpose.
February, 1949 – A contract for constructing a new Sunday school building was awarded at a cost of $27,000. (our Current Fellowship Hall)
1951 – 1952 - Statistical report to Presbytery reflects Church membership at 334 and Sunday school attendance at 340.
February 1957 - The urgent need of additional Sunday school space was recognized. The Session & Diaconate developed a building Fund for the new Educational Building.
April 1961 - Air conditioning was installed in the Sanctuary and Ladies Bible class at a cost of $75,000.November 1963 - After many years of talking, praying, sacrificing, and hoping for a new Educational building, we entered a contract in the amount of $106,914. A ground breaking service was held on December 15, 1963 and completed with the laying of the cornerstone on July 26, 1964.
Call Us: +1.8034845441
Email: BishopvillePC@gmail.com or